- Bend the right leg at the knee and place it beside the left knee.
- Straighten and twist the waist towards the right as you exhale. Bring the left arm around the right knee and catch the right big toe.
- Take the right arm back and keep the palm on the ground in such a way that the trunk is kept erect with a proper twist.
- After maintaining for about a minute with normal breathing return to Sthiti and relax for a while in Sithila Dandaasana.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
- Lateral twist gives flexibility to the spine, tones up the spinal nerves.
- Prepares the spine for Ardha Matsyendrasana.
- Helps to cure constipation, dyspepsia, stimulates the pancreas and useful for diabetes.
- Improves the lung capacity.
People who have recently undergone abdominal surgery may avoid this Aasana.