Sthiti: Supine Posture
Stage 1: Alternate legs
- While inhaling slowly raise the right leg without bending the knee, as far as comfortable (up to 90 degrees if possible).
- While exhaling return the leg to the floor as slowly as possible.
- Repeat the practice with the left leg.
- This is one round. Perform 10 rounds.
- If you need, you can keep the arms by the side of your body with the palms facing the for at any convenient position or at shoulder level.
- Do not bend the knee throughout the practice.
- Do not disturb the leg lying straight on the ground in order to be able to raise the other leg further.
- Even if you can, do not raise the leg beyond 90 degree.
- Perfectly synchronize the breathing with leg movements.
- Maintain perfect breath awareness during the practice.
Stage 2: Both legs
- As you get stronger, you can do the leg raising exercise with both legs. Avoid this exercise if you have low back pain.
- Lie on the back with the legs together, hands stretched out over the head, biceps touching the ears and palms facing the ceiling.
- While inhaling slowly raise both the legs without bending at the knees, as far as comfortable (up to 90 degrees, if possible).
- While exhaling return the legs to the floor as slowly as possible.
- Perform 5 rounds.
In case of both legs, as you exhale and bring down the legs, there will be a tendency for them to fall down too rapidly as the come close to the floor. So use strength and have control over the movement.